Saturday, August 27, 2011

Kabobs and Roasted Potatoes




The other day I made my first kabobs, and they turned out so well, I wanted to share the delight with you! :)  I have a "unique" style of cooking, in that I rarely follow a recipe exactly.  Therefore, my directions may not be perfectly clear, since I tend to have this "free-style cooking."  I hope it's still clear enough so that you can enjoy the results!

I used a steak marinade from Kim Cahill's "Cooking for a Crowd" recipe book, (which was some fabulous recipes in it, by the way!)
Here's her marinade recipe:

Steak Marinade
Oil 1/4 cup
Lemon juice 2 T
Worcestershire sauce 1 T
Mustard 1 T.
Soy Sauce 2 T
Liquid smoke 1/4 tsp.
Garlic, minced 1 tsp. (1 clove)
Chili powder 1 1/2 tsp
Pepper, fine 1/2 tsp.
Onion powder 1/4 tsp

Combine all ingredients.  Stir with whisk.  Pour over meat. Toss to distribute evenly.  Cover and marinate in fridge for 8-24 hours.

Kabobs
Traditionally, kabobs have the meat and vegetables alternated on the same stick, and cooked at the same time, but I did it a little differently, thanks to a tip from my sister.  I put meat and vegetables on separate skewers, and cooked them separately, that way, I didn't have to deal with that terrible cooking mistake of overcooked vegetables! :P

You should start with about 2 1/3 lbs of meat, cut into 1 1/2" cubes.  Marinate the meat fro 8-24 hours.
Put several pieces of meat onto each wooden skewer, and place on a cookie sheet.
(I did mine in the oven, since we don't have a barbecue yet.)  


Cook at 400 for 15-20 minutes, turn halfway through.

Vegetables:

  Red Pepper 1" cubes
Yellow Pepper 1" cubes
 Orange Pepper 1" cubes
 small onions 1" cubes
 Cherry Tomatoes
(these were just the ones I used, you can be so creative with the vegetables, and use a ton of different types!  Zucchini, squash, even radishes are good :)

I tossed the vegetables in olive oil, basil, oregano, salt, and a bit of granulated garlic.  I then placed them on the skewers, and cooked them for about 10-15 minutes at 400


Roasted Potatoes
(another favorite dish of mine!)
Cut potatoes into approximately 1 " cubes.  Soak for between 20 minutes to 1 hour, if you have time.
Drain.  Toss potatoes with olive oil, garlic, pepper, chili powder, salt, parmesan cheese, and whatever else you like.
Place in a 9x13 glass baking pan.
Cook at 350 until done (approximately 45 minutes) Increase heat to 400 if you're in a hurry. :P 


No comments:

Post a Comment