Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pretty in Purple!

Jasmine Siera Esther was born on Sunday, October 2, at 10:08 pm!!
What a thrill it is to have a darling little girl!  I thought I'd share with you a little bit of her "birth story", but if you'd rather not read it.....then don't. :P  I realize that not everybody is into this kind of thing, but since her birth has a bit more of a story to it, and some of you wanted to hear a few more details, I'm going to write it out. :)

We'd been planning a home birth for the past several months, and were really looking forward to it, not having to go anywhere, and being able to have more control over the environment, among other reasons.
Waiting was definitely one of the hardest parts for me, especially when I got to, and passed Jasmine's official due date.  But, exactly one week after that, on October 2, like several other days, I began having regular contractions, all through the church service, and into the afternoon.  We were just about to call our midwife, saying that I was in labor, when they stopped.  
Then, at 7:30, my water broke.  Almost immediately, we began a flurry of phone calls to family, a few friends, and our midwife.  Then, we set about getting the house as beautifully tidied and organized as possible - one of my absolute favorite ways of de-stressing, and a way to make me feel good in almost any situation. :)
Around 8, I began having real contractions, intense and very painful.  But I was just so excited to finally be in labor, that I didn't even mind!
Stephen's parents arrived shortly after to pick up Ian.  They stayed around for a bit, helping out in whatever ways they could.  
The midwife arrived shortly after they did, and by this time, I was in almost straight labor.  
I'll spare you all the details, but my labor this time was about 2 1/2 hours long, very intense, and very painful.  As a clarification to those of you who may think labor = very intense and very painful, let's just say that although I've had two babies, I actually feel like I've now been through "real" labor after this one. :P
As soon as Jasmine was born, Stephen told me we'd had a girl, (we'd found out, but were told it wasn't 100% for sure).  She was 9 lbs, 10 oz when she was born!  Much bigger than any of us were expecting!
It was after this that the complications started.  My placenta wasn't coming out like it should, and the midwife said if it didn't come out soon, we'd have to call 911.  I was also losing a lot of blood, which was also a reason for concern.  They had me kneel up on the bed to see if that would change things.  It didn't, and I fainted as I was lying back down.  I began shaking uncontrollably, and was so cold after that.  They started an IV, and called 911. 
Within minutes, an ambulance was there.  Stephen was holding Jasmine all this time, and he began to get my things ready for the hospital, while his mom dressed Jasmine.  
Soon, I was on a stretcher outside, being wheeled to the ambulance.  I remember thinking how beautiful of a night it was, so clear, and the stars were amazing!  I really didn't feel all that bad, considering the circumstances, and was therefore able to appreciate my ride in the ambulance, complete with sirens. (A very weird fulfillment of something I've always wanted. :P)
When we got to the emergency, there was a ton of people in the room, nurses, doctors, my midwife, and after a few minutes, Stephen and Jasmine.  
Thankfully they were able to get the placenta out, and stop the bleeding.  I lost about 3 1/2 litres at home, and more at the hospital, making a blood transfusion a necessity.  
I don't think I've ever been so cold in my whole life.  I am so grateful for heated sheets, and other warming devices the hospital has! :)
Stephen was such a rock during this whole time, he was so calm, and so in control, even though I could tell he was really worried.  
Finally, everything was stabilized, and I was doing better, so they wheeled me to a room, and Jasmine, Stephen and I were able to sleep for the rest of the night.
The next few days were spent in the hospital, recovering from the whole ordeal.  We had a few very welcome visitors, and enjoyed some much needed rest.

We're home now, and everything is gradually getting back to normal.   It's so amazing to cuddle my adorable little girl, feeling her soft skin against mine, and just being able to enjoy my time with her!   She's such a little darling!


  1. Wow! So glad everything turned out okay and CONGRATULATIONS to you and Stephen! She's beautiful and SO big - my wee girl was just 6lbs 10oz, she was 9lbs at her 4week checkup!

  2. What an amazing story, I could totally sense the calmness of God's presence with you both, a wonderful testimony of the work of God in how He is always with us! You even had time to notice the glory of the Heavens. Thank you for sharing Caleigh :) <3

  3. I'm so glad you shared more details! I was dissapointed you didn't with Ian ;-) What a big, healthy baby! That is interesting that it was a harder labor than your first. Again, I thank the Lord with you for His protection!!