Friday, February 18, 2011

An Accomplished Woman


I've been immersing myself recently in the world of Elizabeth and Darcy, in Pride and Prejudice. Every once in a while, I get a hankering to go back and return to Netherfield and Longbourn and Pemberly. In my reading, I came across this part, which I wanted to share with you all, in spite of the fact that most of you have probably read the book at least once yourselves! :)

"Your list of the common extent of accomplishments," said Darcy, "has too much truth. The word is applied to many a woman who deserves it no otherwise than by netting a purse or covering a screen. But I am very far from agreeing with you in your estimation of ladies in general. I cannot boast of knowing more than half-a-dozen, in the whole range of my acquaintance, that are really accomplished."


"Nor I, I am sure," said Miss Bingley.


"Then," observed Elizabeth, "you must comprehend a great deal in your idea of an accomplished woman."


"Yes, I do comprehend a great deal in it."


"Oh! certainly," cried his faithful assistant, "no one can be really esteemed accomplished who does not greatly surpass what is usually met with. A woman must have a thorough knowledge of music, singing, drawing, dancing, and the modern languages, to deserve the word; and besides all this, she must possess a certain something in her air and manner of walking, the tone of her voice, her address and expressions, or the word will be but half-deserved."


"All this she must possess," added Darcy, "and to all this she must yet add something more substantial, in the improvement of her mind by extensive reading."



I have to admit, the last sentence especially rings true with me! Reading to improve the mind rather than just to entertain it is so important! I would wax eloquent on the subject, but I hear a little voice in the bedroom wanting me to come, so until next time!!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you there! It's funny, the more I pick up a book to expand the horizons of my mind rather than for diversion, the more I find I enjoy it too. And I think you have excellent taste in favorite books. :)

    ReplyDelete